Conservation Techniques of Architectural Heritage and Private Property Legal Rights – Case Study Alexandria, Egypt
Keywords:Conservation, Architectural Heritage, Private Property, Legal Rights, Alexandria Egypt
Conservation projects of architectural heritage primarily aim at preserving the cultural character and protecting the historical and value buildings through a set of techniques/approaches and concepts that deal with valuable urban heritage. These concepts and approaches are sometimes a major obstacle to community development. Thus, for a better understanding of the debate over conservation versus development in terms of ownership and private property legal rights, the study will review the classification of different techniques by applying them at the level of architecture, urban, and society. Hence, these have been classified into three basic levels: building, urban, and community, whereby policies for each type will be reviewed. These arguments will be discussed within the Alexandrian experience in architectural heritage listing and management. Moreover, the study also explores evaluation criteria of historical and value buildings, clarifying the attempts to conserve the architectural heritage in Alexandria. The study focuses mainly on the conflict between conservation techniques and the concept of private property legal rights, and hence, proposing some future measures to address the conflict of interests between conservation on one hand and private property ownership legal rights on the other. In addition, it will present some recommendations for preserving the unique architectural style of the Mediterranean Sea that distinguishes the city of Alexandria. It will also adhere to the remains of this heritage by taking into consideration the legal rights of private property, which can contribute to the conservation techniques of architectural heritage for Alexandria.
AAHA index. (2008). Collège Saint-Marc. Page de Fond. Retrieved from http://www.aaha.ch/photos/saint-marc.htm
Abdel Fattah, S. E. M. (2012). Funding Management of Historical Areas Rehabilitation Projects, Cairo Case Study. Msc thesis, Faculty of Engineering, Helwan University, Egypt. Retrieved from http://www.cpas-egypt.com/pdf/ShehabMohamed/Ms.c/002.pdf
Alex Med. (2008). The Alexandria Heritage Catalogue. According to Declaration 278 of 2008, the Official Egyptian Press, El Waqaa El Masreya, Issue Number (5), Egypt. Retrieved from https://www.bibalex.org/alexmed/Projects/Details.aspx?
Egypt Travel Link. (2004). Montaza Complex Alexandria Egypt. Retrieved from http://www.etltravel.com/montaza-alexandria/montaza-palace-montaza-complex/
El Borombaly, H. (2015). Building Regulation Control for the Conservation of Architecture and Urban Heritage to the Value Areas. Conference: Al Qassim Architecture 2nd Forum; Urban Heritage principles and values, Al Qassim University on April 2015. doi: https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.1.4907.9206. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275308513_Building_regulation_control_for_The_Conservation_of_Architecture_and_urban_heritage_to_the_value_Areas_altshryat_albnayyt_alhakmt_lsyant_altrath_almmary_walmrany_llmnatq_dhat_alqymt
El Esawy, M. A. A. (2012). A Comparative Study of Urban Heritage Conservation Policies. 3rd International Urban Conservation Conference and Exhibition, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Retrieved from https://www.fayoum.edu.eg/.../Architectural/DrMohammadE.aspx
El Mwatin Newspaper. (2016). The Right is your Right. Reports and Investigations, October, 2 2016. Retrieved from https://www.elmwatin.com/100452
Guiso, L. & Sapienza, P. & Zingales, L. (2006). Does Culture Affect Economic Outcomes? Journal of Economic Perspectives, 20(2), 23-48. Retrieved from https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdf/10.1257/jep.20.2.23
Hanafi, M. A. (1993). Development and Conservation with Special Reference to the Turkish Town of Alexandria. PhD thesis, Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies, University of York, U.K.
Harrison, L. E. & Huntington, S. P. (2000). Culture Matters; How Values Shape Human Progress. Basic Books, the Perseus Books Group, New York, ISBN 0-465-03176-5. Retrieved from https://archive.org/details/CultureMattersHowValuesShapeHumanProgress/page/n23
Hezel, S. J. & Francis, X. (2009). The Role of Culture in Economic Development. Micsemesian Counselor, 8(77), 1-20. Retrieved from http://www.micsem.org/pubs/counselor/pdf/mc77.pdf
Home-SIS. (2016). Le Musée national d'Alexandrie-L’Organisme général de l’Information. Retrieved from http://www.sis.gov.eg/Story/83907?lang=fr
Imgrum. (2018). Instagram viewer. #saad_zaghloul #steingberger #cecil #hotel #ram.... husssaid. Retrieved from http://www.imgrumweb.com/post/BiJq10BFnsc
Ministry of Culture. (2010). Guiding Manual: Principles and Criteria for Civilizational Coordination of Buildings and Heritage Areas of Distinctive Value. Approved by the Supreme Council for Planning and Urban Development, in accordance with Law No. 119 of 2008 and its Executive Regulations. National Organization for Urban Harmony, Egypt, 1(1), 1-48. Retrieved from http://www.cpas-egypt.com/pdf/National_Organization_for_Urban_Harmony/01/001/01.pdf
News. (2014). Sport and opinion from the Guardian's US edition. Demolition of Alexandria architectural gem begins, World news, the Guardian. Retrieved from http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/06/demolition-alexandria-architectural-villa-aghion
Part musings. (2015). part travel blog. Page 2 – Part musings, part travel blog. Retrieved from http://qtplum.wordpress.com/page/2/
How to Cite
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution: other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
With the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a pre-publication manuscript (but not the Publisher's final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access). Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher's request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author's own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- The Work is the Author's original work;
- The Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- The Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- The Work has not previously been published;
- The Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- The Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author's breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 7 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher's use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.