Rethinking the Meaning of Transformed Historic Environment Through the Non-Muslim Religious Structures of Izmir
Keywords:Religious Structures, Non-Muslim, Historical Preservation, Re-Use, Izmir
Izmir city, which is the focus of the study, has hosted many different historical periods and their cultural outputs from past to present. In the city, the traces of different cultural periods such as civilizations of antiquity, Beyliks, Ottomans and Turkish Republic can be examined at the same time. Due to the developments in the marine trade in 19th century, the physical, economical and social structure of the port city Izmir was improved. The enriched structure of Izmir can still be observed through its historical environment. Within this heritage, the role of religious buildings in terms of urban identity, environmental impact and social belonging have a great importance. Furthermore, the preservation / transformation implementations of these structures reshape the physical and social structure of the city.
In this sense, the subject of this study is to examine the environmental and social impact of the transformed non-Muslim religious structures of Izmir. Through the site analyses, the effect of the preservation implementations and the new urban roles of these monumental buildings are to be defined while the continuity of the cultural values and contributions to the urban identity will be questioned. The findings of the research will be evaluated over a set of parameters such as environmental impact, sense of belonging, continuity of the spatial identity and the sufficiency of the new uses.
Akkurt, B. H. (2015). Mimari Koruma Uygulamalarının Fiziksel, Toplumsal ve Kültürel Etkileri: İzmir Aya Voukolos Kilisesi. Mimarlik Dergisi, 386, p. 56-61.
Akkurt, B. H. (2017). Kent, Toplum, Mekan İlişkileri Çerçevesinde Paterson Köşkü, İzmir Büyükşehir Belediyesi Kent Kitaplığı, İzmir. p. 33-35
Belge, B. (2005). Urban Archaelogical Issues and Resources in İzmir Historic City Centre: An Exploratory Case Study, Msc Thesis, Midde East Technical University, Ankara
Beyru, R. (2000). 19. yy’da İzmir’de Yaşam, Literatür Yayınları, İzmir
Gezgin, İ. (2009). Tarih Boyunca Çeşme, İzmir: Şenocak Yayıncılık
Gezgin, İ. (2013). Parasızlıktan ayakta kalmış kilise: Çeşme Haralambos Kilisesi, http://www.agos.com.tr
Güner, D. (2005). İzmir’in Kentsel Tarihi. İzmir Mimarlık Rehberi, Mimarlar Odası İzmir Şubesi Yayını
Kayın, E. (1988). Çeşme Tarihi Doku Araştırması Koruma ve Restorasyon Önerileri, Msc Thesis, Dokuz Eylul University, İzmir
Mansel, P. (2011). Levant - Akdeniz’de İhtişam ve Felaketler. Everest Yayınları, İstanbul. p. 23-237.
Number 1 İzmir Regional Board for the Conservation of Cultural and Natural Asset Archive, 2019
Serçe, E. (2002). İzmir ve Havalisi Âsar-ı Atika Muhibleri Cemiyeti ve Izmir Arkeoloji Müzesi’nin Kuruluşu. İzmir Kent Kültürü Dergisi,1, p. 318-328.
Smyanelis, M. C. (2016). İzmir 1830-1930 Unutulmuş Bir Kent mi? Bir Osmanlı Limanından Hatıralar, İletişim Yayınları, İstanbul. p. 145-211.
Urgun, O. (2016). A Glimpse into the Near Past of Çeşme: An Historical and Aesthetic Analysis of the Theotokos and the Haralambos Church, III. International Çeşme-Chios History, Culture and Tourism Symposium
Izmir Fire Map, http://www.levantineheritage.com/data10.htm
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution: other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
With the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a pre-publication manuscript (but not the Publisher's final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access). Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher's request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author's own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- The Work is the Author's original work;
- The Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- The Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- The Work has not previously been published;
- The Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- The Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author's breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 7 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher's use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.